Dear Caroline,

Nicely put. Music is certainly an ephemeral art. There is, for
example, a nice vanitas on the title page of Fuhrmann's _Testudo
Gallo-Germanica_ (1615).

We have been discussing Holbein's "Ambassadors" of late. The most
significant feature of this painting is the extraordinary skull
painted in the foreground towards the bottom of the painting., The
only way you can see that it is a skull is to view the painting with
your eyes virtually looking across the flat surface of the painting.

When you are driving along the road in England, you may see the word
"Slow" written on the tarmac. If you're in Wales, you'll see "Araf".
>From the car driver's viewpoint the letters look normal, and they
are easy to read. If you get out of the car and stand over the road
where the writing is, you'll see ridiculously elongated letters. So
it is with Holbein's skull. Death is everpresent, but not something
we readily perceive. The skull, of course, reminds us of death, and
the fact that our days are numbered on this earth.

One aspect of the painting is often overlooked: high up on one side
(I forget which) there is an image of Christ on the Cross hidden
amongst the curtains. Christ may be shoved to one side, but he is
the answer to death (virtually unrecognisable, yet in the
foreground). If the painting is reproduced in a modern book, it may
be trimmed to fit neatly on the page. This cropping often removes
the Crucifixion, and thereby removes one of the most important
messages in the painting.

Holbein's "Ambassadors" was restored a few years ago. I have seen
the painting in the National Gallery in London before and after
restoration, and I do have my doubts about the efficacy of the
restoration. It was certainly a contentious issue at the time of the
restoration. The colours are now brash compared to how they were
before restoration. What I cannot tell is whether the restorers have
significantly altered what was there. Maybe Kenneth Be has some
inside knowledge he can share with us.

By the way, it is perfectly understandable that Holbein should have
chosen the upper octave of the fourth course for his broken string.
Apart from the first course, that upper octave fourth is the
thinnest string on the lute, and so the most likely to break.
Martin's comment about the thin string being on the bass side (like
with the baroque guitar) may be hugely significant.

I'm afraid my memory takes me no further than before with regard to
identifying the music. I know it has been identified as a Lutheran
hymn of some kind. If I find out more, I shall pass it on.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.