Arthur, I wrote this Thursday and lost it. I found it in my "drafts folder"
tonight so I send it on without review.

Arthur,

I can't disagree with anything you say. Except that I didn't mean to imply
that the lute was a part of the Roman ritual.

And you are right in saying it was a tenet of the sect rather than a
universal practice. But new as I am to the lute and its history I see in
David van Edwards' informative history on his web site (and I will allow
that he may be wrong in the eyes of others, but it looks well researched to
these new eyes) that much of the lute making was in Germany, not that that
suggests anything other than that Germany was a place where there were many
Protestant sects. Remember that the Anglicans (Epicopalians in the US) were
considered Protestant and still are, and that before Martin Luther. From the
top of my head as I type I can't remember where Calvin was from, but I
associate him with Scotland. Then there was Wesley, and a number of other
different interpretations of Christianity. The very Pilgrims who landed at
Plymouth Rock in your neighborhood did so for two reasons. One to free
themselves of the liturgy of the Protestant Anglicans and follow their
strict interpretation of the scriptures (after all the first Protestant was
Henry VIII because he couldn't get a divorce), and the second was because
they ran out of beer in their great circle route to Virginia Colonies and
had to put into port in new territory (a bit of poetic lisence there, but
what the hell). Not all on the Mayflower were the religious protesters
looking for a freedom to be strict, there were adventurers and others. A
mixed bag.

The point being that the arts are a sensitive animal, and that a change in
emphasis whether made by the popularity of a particular sect for a period of
time or by decree can influence the future of that art. None of us know what
happened, we only guess. But don't categorize the Protestants as a group,
they are merely defined as "non-Roman" Christians. Some are fundamentalist
and some are almost agnostic (many of the founding fathers considered
themselves to be "Deists"). So with regard to the music, if a significant
portion of the population accepts that song whose words aren't in the Bible
then they won't listen to that song.