I found this hidden in my "drafts folder", I don't know if it was sent but
it looks as if it has been sitting there a while. I send it on without
review. jwm

Tim, I have apolgized to David for a direct comment, but yet I stand by my
viewpoint. I probably misworded it by taking a narrow focus myself. Of
course the music is affected by the instrument used, Bach on the harpsichord
and the piano is different, and even more so if you put him on a modern
organ (and some of the great organists have done that, E. Power Biggs at
Yale and Carl Weinrich at Princeton in the forties and fifties wandered into
the harpsichord music).

My point, and one better made by (was it Stewart), better a song be played
with understanding and feeling than as a duplicate of the notes and the
instrument. Best is if one can do both, the legitimate instrument and the
good "chops" to play it. But if the instrument is only allowed to be
authentic, then hoi polloi is cut out of the action, even though there may
be poets there. There is a distinctive sound to the "Bach trumpet" that is
keener than the orchestral trumpet of today, does that mean I won't listen
to brasses play Bach?

So yes Tim, I agree with all you have said, but this thread was started by a
request from a beginner looking at the lutar, and probably not even looking
to play it, just carry it on stage. There is so much difference between the
instruments that styles get disguised. but the song is often better
understood when it comes from different styles and instrument, whatever
instrument it was designed for. I have the sneaky feeling that Bach might
have "jammed" with Louis Armstrong had they been around at the same time.

I have an armchair, as many men do. My armchair is located in front of the
TV (which is instructed to play only news, Discovery, History and a few
others). On the right side of my armchair is my collection of penny whistles
in various keys, in front of it is my double strung harp (the smaller cross
strung is across the room). On my left is the guitar (retuned for lute), and
just over my left shoulder are the psaltery and the mountain dulcimer. (And
the bowed psaltery is in its box across the room, but may soon take its
rightful place in the Valhalla of instruments).

If a song goes through my head I may grab an instrument, or just leave the
song circulating around my brain. But whichever I grab, I'll play the same
song on a couple of other instruments, whether having to modulate or going
straight through. I'll have to find a place for the lute in that Pantheon,
but if I have to hang it from the ceiling it will be there.

Yes, the instrument is important, but the playing is more so. Yes the
harpsichord and piano-forte are different, but the keyboard is very simila$4