Dear Matanya,

I would very much like to know more about the other lute manuscript.

> During this visit, he told Arthur
> the same story he has been telling me, as well as Colin Cooper,
the editor
> of Classical Guitar magazine, that the manuscript was taken from
> Koenigsberg to Vilnius by the KGB, together with _another_ lute
manuscript,
> and then deposited in the Biblioteka Akademia Nauk. According to
Silinskas,
> the other lute manuscript was still in the KGB archives in 1991.

Until manuscripts are copied in some form, be it Graham hand-copying
Straloch, Chilesotti transcribing and publishing his "Da un Codice"
in staff notation, microfilms of Hirsch, or photographs of Welde,
the existence of that precious, irreplaceable music is utterly
precarious. Of course originals are important in their own right,
but Minkoff, SPES, Boethius, and yourself with Editions Orphée, have
all provided a safety net. If the original is destroyed, at least we
still have the music safely tucked away in our facsimiles and
transcriptions.

It is desperately sad that you and Arthur, who worked together to
produce the Koenigsberg facsimile (and have thus guaranteed the
preservation of its contents) have fallen out. I very much
appreciate what you have both done over the years, together and
separately, to help the rest of us in our tiny world of lutes. There
is a time to work together, and a time to go separate ways. Whatever
your differences now, I hope you will both regard that particular
project as a success.

Original manuscripts - our sources of lute music - are a finite
resource. Sooner or later everything which happens to have survived
over the centuries will have been discovered. It is possible that we
have already found all we can in Western Europe, but I suspect there
are still sources of lute music yet to be discovered in Eastern
Europe. It would be tragic, if, having survived for three or four
hundred years, they should now vanish for good. The Etwall Hall Lute
Book was mentioned in the 19th century, but no-one knows where it is
now. Will that be the same fate for the other manuscript you
mentioned in connection with Koenigsberg?

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.