Oh List,

I wondering about the following measure in the part of the first lute of
Besard's Branles de Village for g and d lutes.  The measure occurs in the
second segment of the fourth branle.  The first segment starts and ends
with half measures, which are separated by seven full measures.  The
second segment of branle four also starts with a half measure. If the next
measure is counted as 1, the problem appears in measure four in the g-lute
part.

Here is what you get if you combine the two lute parts of that strange
measure:

   1                     0
1           (d) (e)         |
2  r (d) a   r   d   f   r  | a
3                   (b) (a) | a
4 (e)   (r)                 | b
5                           |
6  r     d       a       r  |
                              a//

(The numbers at the top are the numbers of flags: 1 for 1/8 and 0 for 1/4;
the numbers of the left are the courses. The g-lute part is in
parentheses.)  If you play the top part by itself, it sounds really
strange, but if you put it together with the second part is less bizarre
perhaps. I have hand-written copy and I'm wondering if it's correct.

Thanks!

Peter.