Dear Herbert and James, and all,

I won't claim to be a "smart guy", but I do know something of strings (from
the harp, guitar and psaltery - and now from modifying the stringing and
tensions of the Musikits flat back lute I've made).

With your indulgence let me speak of the basics. Contrary to intuition all
strings break at about the same pitch, given the length (excepting bronze
wire, and of course excepting wound strings). The pitch is a function of
mass (guage), and vibrating length. The breaking point is a function of
tension and tensile strength. It happens (not by design but pure
coincidence) that the combination of mass and tensile strength of gut, nylon
and steel wire (used on renaissance harps and psalteries) comes out to a
factor that is almost the same, I won't give you the numbers but I think I
put them in a previous message to the list. (But when speaking of wound
strings the tensile strength is a matter of the guage of the underlying
monofiliment, so there is a greater mass than the "pure" string).

James, I don't think you will find a tension that will break the lute, the
string would break first (or the tension would be so great as to be
unplayable). It isn't the light construction of the lute that dictates
thinner strings, it is the desired tension. At the moment I'm using La Bella
strings supplied to me (as some of you have discussed with me). The g'
chanterelle is a rectified .022 (.56mm), and rectification scrapes the hard
cover from the nylon and weakens it. The best pitch it will hold is e', and
even there the action is too heavy for a lute. The guitar spec for the e' is
that same .022 (.56mm), and the standard guitar is a bit longer in vibrating
length that the nominal lute ( I believe that the lute ranges from about
58cm to 64cm, mine is 63.3cm - and the guitar is normally closer to 65cm).

On the advice of members of this list I've appealed to Curtis Daily of
Aquila USA for advice and strings. I anxiously await the strings that are in
the mail. His recommendation for my chanterelle was a nylon (not nylgut)
.44mm (he is sending .42 as a temp as he is out of stock). The rest will be
nylgut or copper wound nylgut. And the nominal tension of all will be about
30 N (3 kilos), but even so the chanterelle will be about 40N (4 kilos) -
(but I'm interested in seeing how the temp .42 works out, it may be
preferable).

OK, have I bored you enough? The answer to Herbert's question is "both".
Guitar strings, unless specialized, aren't available in the gauges needed
for the treble of the lute. And lute strings need to feel a bit more "limp"
than guitar strings (although that isn't a "limpness" in the string, it is
the tension required to come to pitch - one wants a softer action on the
lute). And I do thank James here for putting tension into kilos of pressure
for the differing instruments. Curtis told me the strings he was sending
were set for my lute length at about 30N, and that 10N was about one kilo -
but I had now translation of the subjective pressure until James said that a
standard guitar is about 5 kilos (50N), so now I have the idea of the feel I
should have on my lute at about 3 kilos.

To summarize. Strings are limited in pitch when using an instrument of fixed
length, that is why your Theorbos have the extended arm (finally figured out
what a Theorbo is). You lutenists will never tune a string to the g'' that
is the top end of my harp, that string is only 6 inches long (Ooops, should
say "we" lutenists). Guitar strings might work for the mid ranges on the
lute just as well as the nylon lute strings, just use a different guage for
the pitch so as to get the softer action the lute desires. But I look
forward to the Aquila nylgut, even on the wound strings. The extra mass of
the underlying monofiliment should take some of the "boom and rattle" from
the bass strings I'm using as I think La Bella just made guitar strings in
different guages for their "lute" strings. I'll let you know what happens
when I set the nylgut.

Best, Jon