Dear Vance,
It seems very plausible that ivory lutes were built for wealthy
players, but surely those that survive don't suggest that
they were inferior instruments? The only two six course lutes
with their original necks and pegboxes, the Beare collection
Magno Dieffopruchar and the Vienna Georg Gerle are both
made of ivory. Stephen Barber's article on the former
suggests that it was an entirely serious and much used
instrument with exactly the sort of soundboard barring
and thicknessing you would expect on a performer's lute.
The Gerle  falls into the same category, as also does the
much recently discussed Andreas Berr lute.
And surely a wealthy owner would have wanted those
expensive lutes to sound good? And they might well have
asked lutenists employed in their households to perform on them.
For sure there are lutes built or tampered with by 19th century
forgers, but are there are any genuine historical examples
that follow the "built to look at, not to play" formula?

Best wishes,

Denys