A logical position, concisely stated.  Thanks much, Fred Bone

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Posner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 12:29 AM
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: performer edition, facsimiles (another tangent)

Fred Bone at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> However, can
> it be that J. B. maintains that it legally holds the right to control any
> performance (recorded or live) of the music (a form of reproduction, no?),
> public or private?  I suppose that the remaining questions are:
>
> Can a publishing company declare sole publishing/performance rights to
> unedited music in the public domain?
>
> Can a library control the reproduction/publishing/performance of music
> manuscripts in the public domain that have been made available in
> subsequently published editions?
>
> Does anyone own the public domain music within this book before me?

If it's in the public domain, nobody owns it.  That's what "public domain"
means.  A library that allows use of its manuscript subject to contractual
conditions, such as limitations on use, can, in theory, enforce the
conditions in a suit for breach of contract, but only against the party it
contracts with.

A publishing company can declare pretty much whatever it wants, just as I
can declare that I'm Napoleon. It costs nothing to put a notice on a
published edition claiming that you own the solar system, and someone just
might believe you.

Howard Posner