At 10:43 AM 12/3/2003 -0500, Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No, but you are believed to be a publisher of commercial ARRANGEMENTS. I do
>not wish to open a second can of worms, but earlier I have expressed an
>opinion that an arrangement, although it is not a facsimile, should carry
>only a minimal price tag, because it is basically someone else's music,
>usually from public domain.

Tying the price of an edition to its PD status or lack of it is not a
realistic expectation. The only difference between publishing an original
work or an arrangement (transcription etc), is the fact that the publisher
must pay the composer a royalty on paper sales. The normal level of such
royalties in the US, is about 10% of money taken in. So if I sell an
original work for $10.-, my average net receipt is about $3.- and the
composer's share in this is 30 cents.

If I sell a PD edition of the same size and list price, my costs of
production are exactly the same, the receipt is the same, and I still must
pay the same level of royalty to the _editor_ who did the work for me. Some
of these editors are members of this group.

Sometimes, not very often, the editor is me. I enjoy those 30 cents I
receive for my work.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.