In a message dated 12/9/03 8:56:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> "How
> does the carved rosette affect the tone"?

Several lute makers have mentioned to me that it does not affect the tone.
Certainly, I have not noticed the difference between baroque guitars with and
without ornamental roses, for example.

However, I would suspect that there IS a slight difference, even an
improvement, in tone with a carved rosette since it requires some small bars to be
glued underneath the super thin rosette part of the lute's soundboard which must
affect the sound.

Kenneth