That's how I felt about it as I first heard of that piece: I thought
it's some kind of performance art but given the date of the composition
and the lack of humor I am not sure about this.

By the way: I like modern music - but "cum grano salis" - I try to
detect form and content in any piece. If I cannot find it it's either
above my understanding or bad.
Best wishes
Thomas