(repeat, first try seems to have evaporated into cyber space)

Yes Stewart, it was a joke. Sometimes I tell it sometimes not. What I do, when they
are finished rolling their eyes, is move the
second fret into the equal tempered position, tune a just 10th between the open 4th
string and the second fret of the first, ask them to admire the sweetness of the
interval... and then play the "octave" been the open first and the 4th at the second
fret. It has to get swept inder the rug somewhere.

As for Rainer:

>Even a mathematical idiot will know that 2 is even and 3 is odd...

well yes, but the idea that any number of two's multiplied together is still even and
any number of three's odd requires a bit of induction and a small leap of thought.
Clearly, my friend, you have not had the privilege of teaching a non-major's math or
mathematical science course to a US college age audience since the collapse of
standards in secondary school education in much of the country. Inumeracy is rampant.

.....Bob

Replies: (remove the "ZZZZ")

Ekko Jennings:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bob Clair:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]