01/03/04

Hello All,

A while ago someone asked what Oil to use for Gut Strings.  That got me
thinking what a good idea for those of us living with high humidity (80%
in my apartment right now.)

So I checked with Daniel Larson (luthier in Duluth, Minnesota, USA, also
maker of Gamut Strings--gut strings and frets) to see if he sold any.

Dan was kind enough to reply that he didn't sell gut oils, nor did he have
any personal recommendations.  However he did mention that a number of
old-time double bass players swear by Lanolin (a natural oil produced by
sheep and recovered from their wool) for preserving gut strings.  The
human body also produces an oil very similar to Lanolin to keep the skin
pliable and healthy.

So I ordered a 4 ounce bottle from www.herbalremedies.com in Casper,
Wyoming, USA.  I received 100% pure liguid lanolin.  It reminds me of a
very thick, clear honey.  $4.98 USD for the bottle and $5.49 USD shipping
within the USA.

I put it on the gut strings and frets last night.  Since the back of my
lute's neck is unfinished wood, I applied it to the back of the neck in
addition to the gut frets there (I use Mason double frets.)  The Lanolin
is so thick it's almost like glue, and seems to have helped in anchoring
the frets in place.  (A side benefit.)

I used a thin cotton handkerchief to remove the excess Lanolin from the
gut strings, mainly so my 1st course G string would vibrate true (it had
stuck to the first two frets.)  After drying overnight, everything appears
to be in good shape.  Some minor fraying that was already in the lower
courses is still there, so it didn't repair that.  But it might have if I
didn't wipe off the excess Lanolin.  I was concerned that the globules of
Lanolin may effect the tone of the strings if I allowed the globules to
remain on the strings.

Dan Larson said the Lanolin would help with keeping the strings from
drying out (is this a cause of fraying?),  but wouldn't form a barrier to
keep the humidity out.

For the person who had mentioned olive oil:   Dan thought olive oil can be
acidic, and acid is very bad for gut strings.  Whatever you use should be
as close to Ph neutral as possible, was Dan's recommendation.    I wonder
what the Ph is for Lanolin?

If you're interested in hearing a followup on this topic, let me know.
Regards,
The Other.