> I haven't noticed a direct reply coming in to your question about the harp
> mechanism - if one did, could you pass it on, please?  The idea is
> intriguing, as the harp mechanism I've seen on harps is a hook fitted into
> the harmonic curve of the instrument, which you can turn to touch the string
> at the right distance for a semitone up.  More sophisticated versions exist,
> but one way or another they are fitted to the top block of wood at the wrest
> pin end.
Actually, come to think of it, the "Borodaj" torban in one of the museums in
Kiev had been fitted with a mechanism that raises a pitch a semitome on any
string going into the upper pegbox, sometime during the 19th century (the
instrument itself is from the 18th), but it was removed during the
restoration.
I have a vague memory that Swedish theorbos occasionally had something of
the sort.
RT

Roman M. Turovsky
http://turovsky.org