You're right. The wax only provides a viscous element between string and
nut. And of course the turbulence never enters into the lute equation. But
I still hold the nut surface need not be completely polished out when using
beeswax (see my other post on it). Completely polished would probably be
better for dry lubricants such as pencil lead. And if it wasn't before, it
will be soon since the small particles in  the pencil lead would act as a
polishing agent. The wax won't.