Herbert,
have a look at DvE's website
www.vanedwards.co.uk/glue.htm

This answers most of your questions.

Hide glue is a solution of collagen in water, so to say. You apply it with a
brush to the parts to be glued together and press both parts for a certain
amount of time, say 15 mins. The glue gells while cooling, the minimal amount
of water in the joints is absorbed by the wood. Very simple and elegant. The
excess glue is just washed away with warm water. No comparison to the mess
created by PVA glue. Your fingers will be sticky but again, hot water does the
trick.

Your method can be used for veneering. You would apply a generous amount of glue
, let it gell and reheat it with an ordinary household iron.

best wishes