At 10:45 PM +0100 3/15/04, bill wrote:
>thanks ed.
>
>i once saw a hungarian kobsa which looked to me
>like any other, bowl backed, lute-type
>instrument.  these ukrainian instruments appear
>to be flat backed and quite thin.   i find it
>interesting that (according to one of the sites
>you supplied me) it was originally carved from
>one piece of wood, much like a citole.
>
>i don't know how far down this particular road
>members of the list will want to go but i'm
>trying to reintroduce the charango back into the
>european family of bowl-backed, stringed
>instruments as a close relative who has found
>its way home after a 500 year or so ramble
>through the andes.  there's an illustration in
>the "cantigas" collection which shows some dandy
>playing - what to all intents and purposes is -
>a charango.
>
>olè! - bill

Hi Bill:

I don't know that much about early instruments
except through my daughter Alice who is a
medieval instrument maker and researcher into
medieval instruments.  (I'm her go-fer,
fact-finder and librarian.)  Almost all medieval
stringed instruments except for the lute were
probably  hollowed out.  Alice is just completing
her Masters degree which combined making a
reconstruction of the citole in the British
museum, called The Warwick Castle Gittern, and
the study of citoles   in XIII century art.  It
took her a lot of work to make a citole using
broadaxe, adze and chisel.

Last summer I drove her along the Camino de
Santiago, where she photographed and made
drawings of  26 or more sculptured citoles.  Most
of them appear above church portals depicting the
elders of the apocalypse.  Her comment afterwards
was: "Spain looks a lot like a church portico."
She spent hours in front of cathedral tympanums.
I'll have to get her a begging bowl if she wants
to do the trip again.

Alice is currently trying to get funding for a
PhD on the Cantagas.  "I am considering as a
proposed Ph.d. topic the study of stringed
instruments depicted in illustrated manuscripts
from the court of Alfonso X and how they relate
to other contemporary sources both from the
Iberian peninsula and the other major centers of
intellectual activity (London/Oxford, Paris, and
maybe Bologna?). The study would concentrate
primarily on the Cantigas de Santa Maria
manuscripts and four instruments in The Book of
Chess."

It's amazing how little scholarly work has been
done on the instruments of the Cantigas.  Alice
and I have put together a 62 page bibliography of
research done on the Cantigas and almost none
deal with the instruments depicted.

Your comment that one of the Cantigas instruments
looks like a charango is quite interesting and
I'll pass it on to Alice.  Hollowing out an
armadillo should be easier than hollowing out a
log.  Alas, that there were no armadillos in
medieval Spain!

Ed