.. and it provides a certain color to the sound.
A year or so ago I attended a performance of St.John passion which had a
much to large choir and a double orchestra but just one archlute. And
even there the archlute (okay - no baroque lute) was well hearable.
Donatella made a good point: It also depends on how you play continuo.
When you just strum chords you are just doubling the Cello (and/or ...)
but when you create your voice you will be heard.

Best wishes
Thomas

--
Thomas Schall