Dear All,

I have recently acquired Nigel North's book on continuo. I'm not far
through it yet, but he's made a statement in the second chapter that I'd
like to ask you all about. He suggests that a continuo player read standard
notation for the theorbo (archlute, etc.) rather than tablature. Here's the
quote;

"Tablature: Free yourself from this as soon as possible and start thinking
in real music. When playing tablature there is less chance of playing well
and following the soloist, and you will be less able to be spontaneous and
improvise where necessary."

Now I have read standard notation since I was a child, however I have
recently started transcribing the music I play with our consort into
tablature as it helps me with that instrument. I can still improvise around
that and I don't find that I'm hindered in any way by the fact that it's
tablature rather than standard notation. To me tablature is just another
form of musical notation, having no less of the qualities of standard
notation while being specific to the instrument and therefore qualifies to
me as "real" music. Further, I have always found it relatively natural, as
I play my part, to improvise within the structure of a piece. Of course I
have also been a folk, country and jazz musician at various times in my
life, not to mention an actor, so improvisation is not a new concept to me
regardless of where it's employed. I personally feel that any performance
should be equal parts playing what's written and playing outside the box if
you will so long as it doesn't distract from the overall desired effect.

I am curious then as to your opinions on this particular suggestion of Mr.
North's. Do you continuo players read tablature or standard notation? Is
this suggestion only related to later period musical styles (17th - 18th c.
versus late 16th c.)? Or is this just one man's way of approaching the
music and the instruments overall?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Craig