Access to the Folger Library is limited to those with a Ph.D. or
equivalent degree, or graduate students writing a Ph.D. thesis. These
persons may apply for a reader's card by writing a letter of
application and sending two letters of reference to Richard Kuhta,
Librarian, The Folger Shakespeare Library, 201 East Capitol Street.
S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003. Other persons who feel they have a
particular need to use the collections may apply for special
permission status, also to Mr. Kuhta.

http://www.folger.edu/library/use.asp