Dear David,

May I add that words often get corrupted in some way, especially
when imported from one language to another. For example, the
tautological Sinkapace Galliard is derived from the French Cinq Pas,
the five kicking steps of the Galliard.

The English even manage to mangle their own words. I have in mind
Sellenger's Round, which is derived from St Leger's Round (nothing
to do with horses).

There are two ways words may be corrupted:

1) By speech - mishearing what is being said;

2) By writing - misreading what has been written.

One interesting example of misreading words was once explained to me
by Brian Trowell, when he was Professor of Music at King's College,
London. (I don't think I've mentioned this before on Wayne's List.
Apologies if I have.) I'll do it in stages.

1) If you write the name Dunstable in an abbreviated form, it would
look like "Dunstab".

2) In the past it was common for people to abbreviate the letter "n"
to a line over the preceding vowel giving "Dustab".

3) The letter "s" in the middle of a word would look like "f"
without a horizontal line. However, if a "t" was close by, it would
provide the missing horizontal line, giving "Dufab".

4) When describing the letter "v" (the "u" in "Hunt's Up") I said
that the top right-hand line might well loop over to the left to
join the left-hand bit of othe letter. Well, the same could happen
here, with the "b" being misread as "y", especially if the bottom
left part of the "b" drooped down like it does with a flat sign.
[Flat signs were originally little letter "b"s.] Dunstable's name
was sometimes spellt "Dunstaple", in which case the droopy part of
the letter would be even more in evidence.

5) Hey presto! A piece of music composed by Dunstable is now
ascribed to Dufay.

Best wishes,

Stewart.