Thomas,

Quite right, I started performing for others in about 1948 - and alternated
between stage fright and competance for years. I learned years ago that if
one enjoys one's own music the audience will sense that, and respond. There
are "technical audiences" who are listening for detail, but to hell with
them. If they want a mechanic then more power to them, they will never be
satisfied as they will always look for a "higher perfection". There is
nothing more boring in music than rote perfection (unless it is an old man
pontificating <g>). Music is a living thing, and if you can't smile to
yourself as you play it then the audience will know. You and the audience
are sharing the "ice cream", and the secret of the music.

Best, Jon