Dear Goran:

I don't know whether the composers of the music played their stuff faster or
slower than we tend to play it today, I really don't know if there is anyway
to find that out.  I tend to think that much of this material is played too
fast just because it shows such virtuosity to do so, therefore many
performers think this is the way to play it.  I too came to that conclusion
playing Milanos Fantasias/Ricercares, #s 3, 28, and 40.  All have been
recorded by a legion of virtuoso players at blinding speed.  However when
played slower they take on an elegance of tone and voice lost at higher
tempos.

Does this mean they should be played slow?  I think the real question is, in
most cases, do they sound good at the speed you play them?  Another piece
that comes to mind is The Earl of Essex Galliard.  Granted this composition
is not a dirge, but some play it like a horn pipe.  There is a lot to be
said for flares of virtuosity, but this sometimes gets in the way of the
real purpose;  The expression of the music.  When it comes to the dance
compositions to be sure, the tempo of the dance should be kept in mind, but
Fantasies were, as far as I know, not governed by some sort of predetermined
tempi. However in reference to the Galliard it is my understanding that not
all Galliards were fast, some were a bit slower and more stately.  I believe
The Earl of Essex falls into this latter category.

The real bottom line is that you should play the piece at the speed where
you think you are expressing the music.  There are critics enough out there
that will complain either way you play it, all of which is subjective and in
no way graven in stone handed down from on high.  If you make yourself happy
with the way you play it what difference does it make is someone thinks you
play it too fast and another thinks you play it too slow?  There are a lot
of great players, teachers and musicologists out there  but----we all suffer
from the same limitation; Having never heard this material played by the
people that wrote it.  Lacking that reference point we all speculate.  I am
sure there are a lot of carefully researched points of view on every angle
of the problem, and many have the degrees to back up their opinion.  There
is one thing that cannot be determined through research:  How fast is fast,
and how slow is slow?  It is all relative to some common starting point the
nature of which I am unaware of.  So before someone else says it, I am
unaware of a lot of things, I just offer an opinion.

Vance Wood.