> >What is the consensus on tempo? Did "they" play the
> >lute pieces slower than "us"?

 It is difficult to answer this question because there
are very few theoretical documents about the tempo of
performance.
  However, I had a look to Juan Bermudo's Declaración
(1555), and I think we can point out 2 passages:
  1) Book 4, cap 34:  " No consiste la música en
correr las teclas, mayormente sin arte, sino en dar a
cada modo lo que es suyo. La música apressurada no le
contenta a Stapulense, ni menos a Saint Augutin." (
Music does not consist in running the keys( on the
keyboard), above all without art, but in giving each
mode its character. Running music is not pleasing to
Stapulense, and less to Saint Augustin).
  2) Book 4, cap 43: " Es tan diminyuda y bolada la
música de este tiempo porque ella es texto y glosa: Si
algun tañedor fuese desbocado de manos, y le pareciere
que la música es pesada: puede la tañer tan apriesa (
por su consolacióny contentamiento), que el breve haga
semibreve, y al semibreve de valor de mínima. De
forma, que en lugar de compas largos haga compasete, y
hartarse ha de correr" ( Music of this time is so
disminished and quick because it is text and glose. If
any player were skilly enough with his hands, and
thinks that music is heavy: he can play it so quickly
( for his contentness) that the breve is a semibreve,
and the semibreve  a minim. So that instead of long
measure, he plays "compasete" ( = measure twice
faster), and he will be fully happy with his running).
  So Bermudo notices that some players enjoy paying
fast, enjoy their habilety and skilfulness on the
instrument, but does not share this point of view for
music, and prefers moderate music so that the modes
keep their gravity and seriousness.
  It is still so subjective... But I think it is
important to keep in mind this advice for the tempo in
music.
 Cheers
  Isabelle Villey