<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

> Citat Rainer aus dem Spring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Though others think the lute was first devis'd\\
> > In imitation of aa tortoise-baack,\\
> > Whose sinews, parched by Apollo's beams,\\
> > Echo'd about the concave of the shell:\\
> > And seeing the shortest and smallest gave shrill'st sound,\\
> > They found out frets, whose sweet diversity\\
> > (Well-touched by the skillful learned fingers)\\
> > Raiseth so strange a multitude of chords.\\
> > Which their opinion many do confirm,\\
> > Because Testudo signifies a lute.\\

> > I don't know the origin of this (Ovidius?)

> According to Baron (p. 22 in the Eng. ed.) it is Virgil.
> Also mentioned in preface to Drusina's 2cond ed.

The myth of parched sinews can already be found in texts of ancient near
east. They have it a little different, it goes like this: Yubal found
his son slain. In his grief, he put the corpse on the the branches of a
tree, according to burial-custom of his days. After a while, only bones
and some parched sinews were left. When Yubal returned to the tree for
mourning, he heard the wind making a noise on a sinew. He took it and
tried it himself, that way always mournfully remembering his son. That's
how he became ancestor of all string players. - The Bibel bears on that
myth (Gen. 4:21).

--
Best wishes,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/
Germany, T/F +49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Gesucht: Das Beste für die Stadt"
Ökumenischer Stadtkirchentag vom 19. bis 26. September 2004 in Bremen !

http://www.stadtkirchentag-bremen.de