[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Perhaps someone can explain why Hyperion believes they should collect
> revenues on this CD and not compensate the musicologist when the production
> the CD
> was enabled by his labor.

I think you missed this part:

>The nub of the dispute with Hyperion is that the record company takes the view
>that the music it has recorded was written by Lalande, and is in the public
>domain. Dr. Sawkins is entitled to be paid a fee for the use of his edition,
>but not to claim copyright.

They were happy to pay a fee.  They were unhappy to give him ownership.
That's just the bottom-line financial nub of the dispute, of course.

The fundamental legal question is "at what point, if ever, does the work of
an editor, redactor, or reconstructor amount to authorship?"  It's not a
simple question, nor an academic one in the lute world, where lute players
are reconstructing Weiss' ensemble music by essentially composing much of
the music.

BTW, I'd really appreciate it if the people posting responses to the list
delete my address so I don't get them twice.