Dear All,

Alain wrote:

"This is the paradox: we love HIP and the lute in part because they are =
new=20
and therefore exciting. The big question is: how will we keep it =
exciting,=20
for ourselves and those who will come after us?"

I very much share Alain's interest in this question. It's easy to forget =
that
in the Renaissance itself we have a mirror image of our position today: =
using
an attempt to recreate the art of the past to make an art form in our =
own time.
It may be instructive that much of the success of Renaissance art lies =
in not
being too slavish in it's attempts to recreate classical art forms.=20

The lute revival is, of course, not quite new - if you take it back to =
Arnold Dolmetch
you could say it's been going for nearly 100 years, and there are still =
areas of repertoire
most of us have not even heard yet!

I believe there is a link between historically informed performance and =
keeping the
music alive, and part of the paradox is that closer study of the =
original sources seems
to open up more opportunities for working creatively with the music. The =
better you
understand the music, the greater chance you have of working creatively =
within it's own rules.
Paul O'Dette provides some great examples of this - on "The Royal =
Lewters" for instance,
the opening rendition of "Pastyme with good companie" takes the short =
lute original
from Royal Appendix 58 and develops it into his own stunning set of =
variations. His lute
transcription of "Lady Careys Dompe" is equally fine - to my knowledge =
it has never
been played as a lute solo like this before. There are similar examples =
on other albums, but
you have to know the music to spot them. It's all very self effacing and =
I'm sure many
listeners assume it's all coming note for note from original tablatures.

There is a parallel, too, in the art of lute making - the quality of =
lutes being built has steadily
risen over the last 30 years as the understanding of the methods of the =
early makers has grown.
The majority of lute makers in the 70's did not want to be bothered with =
the geometrical
complexity of real lute backs, and were often unclear about which =
details belonged to which
period. Some of those older lutes look really not much better than a =
Francolini fantasy
instrument now, thanks to careful study of the surviving originals and =
accurate depictions
in paintings.

It's my belief that if we study the past we can learn to work creatively =
within it's own
frame of reference and continue to keep the music genuinely alive for =
many years
to come.=20

Best wishes,

Denys