Gentlemen (and lady),

Naming is personal. Nostradamus chose the name he would write under. And (US
Pres) Jimmy Carter's press secretary, Hamilton Jordan pronounced his name
"Jerdan". I once nearly married a rich lady from Newport, RI, who referred
to the "bawdy street" downtown (where the sailors went) as "Tems Street",
although spelled Thames. The river in London is the "Tems" (Norman
difficulty with the "th" sound, going back a thousand years). The street,
and the river in Connecticutt are both Thames (with the "th"). And the town
Cairo outside of Chicago is "Cayro". And when I was living in Brussels some
years ago I went for breakfast at a Brit place on Rue Archimedes, which the
Brits (Anglophone) pronounced closer to the ancient Greek than the French.
"Archimed" versus "Arkimedes", but both have the vowels wrong.

Summary, a proper name is just that, the name used by the owner or the
locality. And if they chose to change it during their career there is no
problem (except for historians). I get the sneaky feeling that Attila the
Hun's birth certificate wasn't in Romanic letters.

BTW, were I to find a famous musician in my ancestry his Anglisized name
would probably be Mercou rather than Murphy. Translation "sea warrior"
(loose translation), meaning I ain't Irish - I'm the product of Danish rape
<g>.

Nomenclature, and exact verbiage, are a verdant plain for the world's
nit-pickers. They can graze on the green grass of homonym and find synonym.
The spelling of a name is variable, at least in the time of Shakspere, or is
it Shakespeare, or is it Shkspre. In the day of handwritten documents the
spelling was not so necessary as the word of the signer. And I say this as
the newly confirmed, by the Motor Vehicle Department of the state of New
Jersey, Jonathan W. Murphy. Eight years I have driven on an illegal NY
lisence (not truly illegal, but living in NJ I was supposed to get the
Jersey License. But they said may name was Alan J. Murphy, while Social
Security and my passport and everything else read Jonathan W. Murphy.
Finally won the argument, and have a legal driver ID as Jonathan W. Murphy -
being christened Alan Jonathan Wyman Murphy).

OK, So if van Rijn (also spelled van Rin, or van Rjn) wants to use his first
name, Rembrandt on one painting, and just call himself Amos on another, it
is his right). If an Italian lutenist wants to play in France and use the
French spelling, then he is "entitled". (Good NYC term, as long as you make
the "ts" into "ds").

It is not the exact spelling of the name, it is the person who is attached
to the name. And that does make it difficult to be historically correct. Was
it "the school of Rembrandt", or the man himself. Not important except to
investors. And the same applies to the luthiers and the lutenists. Just
enjoy the music and don't worry about who wrote it.

Best, Jon