Haven't heard this of Bakfark, but on a famous post-mortem-engraving of Weiss the
inscription reads Es soll nur Sylvius die Laute spielen (Sylvius alone shall play the
lute), a quote from a poem.

Also, I've somewhere read a description of Count Logy's final hour, when Logy ordered
all of his lutes to be brought with black ribbons and their soundboards down, saying:
Woe to them, that will not be sounded again! (or so)

As a rhetorical figure, it may go back to Deuteronomy 34:10 where it is said that
after Moses' death "not did stand up a prophet in Israel like Moses whom the LORD
would know face to face".

--
Best,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/ Germany, T/F: +49 -
421 - 165 49 97, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]