The difference between a vihuela and a charango (I own one, which still has
the animal's ears on...) is the same as that between a piano and an organ
transplant: they sort of look the same, kind of have the same purpose, and
are just as related to each other as we all are on this planet: 7 degrees
of separation only.
The Cuban lute (or laud) however - as heard in the Buena Vista Club group
recording - is only loosely related to the real lute.
See http://www.lafi.org/magazine/interviews/barbarito.html
and http://www.geocities.com/homecorbett/Barbarito.html
Interestingly enough, Cuban lute players are referred to as  "Tocador de
Laud" - same root as "toccata", I suppose, and the French
"toucher",  with  a hint at improvisation -

On the second page cited above, there is the following paragraph with a
reference to the "Spanish laud": Anyone knows what that would be?

"The Cuban Laud was originally from Arabia," Barbarito explains from a
Virginia hotel room. "It was then taken to Spain, and the Spaniards brought
it to Cuba. With each change of culture, it went through a metamorphosis.
The Spanish Laud has a longer neck with a lower tuning. The Cuban Laud, on
the other hand, has two less frets and the sound box is smaller. Everywhere
we play, people are intrigued by the Laud. It's a traditional instrument,
but not a typical one. So people are always curious about it."
(Note the Cuban laud is tuned in fifths: D, A, E, B, F#, C#. )

Alain