> > I assume the book in question is Tyler and Sparks
> > discussion of the mandoline; unfortunately I have not
> > had the opportunity to read it. However, if previous
> > works by Tyler could serve as a reference, I would
> > indeed be careful about what is stated there.
>
> No - its the new book - "The guitar and its music from the renaissnce to the
> classical era.  "
>
> Unfortunately many of the sources which are described and used as a basis
> for determining thesize and tuning  of the 4-course guitar are probably for
> the 4-course mandora/mandola often referred to as "chitarra" in Italian
> sources.  They are not therefore relevant.

Monica,

Is the mandora/mandola the same instrument also called mandore/mandolino...a tiny
lute-like instrument tuned in fourths and fifths? (the instrument of the Skene MS etc)

I seem to remember - maybe Donald Gill or maybe James Tyler - saying that the early
instruments were hollowed out.

Wouldn't a mandora/mandola (very different from the later, bigger things)be a lot
smaller than even a small four-course guitar? The tunings would be different and the
shape and construction is different. How did someone establish that references to
'chitarra', in fact, referrred to mandora?