> We are all suiting ourselves. Anyone's notion of vihuela is legitimate,
> regardless of the fact that it is based on wishful thinking, given the
> "profusion" of tangible vihuela evidence. Some of this wishful thinking is
> exceptionally good when translated into lutherie, Cezar Mateus' for example.
> I haven't heard Sasha Batov's vihuelas yet, but I am looking forward to a
> possibility.
> In short, "vihuela" is fair game, like in an old joke about an Armenian and
> his purple horse. Asked how come his horse was purple, the Armenian
> answered: "It is mine, and I paint it any color I choose."
> RT

I emailed Alexander Batov about the Russian guitar a while ago and in his reply he
talked about 'the Russian guitar and its culture'. I was intrigued by the addition of
'and its culture'.

Looking for a difference between the viola/vihuela and the guitar purely in
constructional terms misses out the difference between the the vihuela and its (rather
elevated) culture and repertoire and that of the guitar.