> To put it in a nutshell, in Spain, during most of the
> 16th century five- and six-course instruments were
> called "vihuelas"; four-course instruments were called
> "guitars". During the late 1570s and early 1580s a
> "new" instrument was developed: the five-course
> instrument we call "baroque guitar", which was called
> "guitarra espaņola".
But didn't this appellido come from outside of the country, while locals had
biguela?

> I should stress that five-course
> instruments were in use before the 1580s, and that the
> novelty of the instrument is expressed in several
> sources of the time, which claim that Vicente Espinel
> was responsible of adding the fifth course to the
> four-course guitar.
"Claim" is it. It is also sufficient to lose the 1st course on a vihuela to
obtain a guitar.

> Roman's proletarian distinction, tempting as it may
> seem from a social point of view, is incorrect. We
> have evidence that the vihuela was used throughout the
> whole social range. The commonplace about the
> "aristocratic vihuela and the popular guitar" is
> simply mistaken.
Really? Most vihuela music is not exactly a crowd-pleaser, it is extremely
intellectualized, it requires A LOT of concentration that the lower classes
could not afford either in time or in literacy. Josquin wouldn't have gone
over well in a Seville barbershop/tapas bar. "Madre, non mi far monaca"
would.
RT