in correspondence relating to the vihuela, someone
(vance?) mentioned that they encountered some
difficulty playing with a reduced number of courses.

recently i removed the 6th course from my oud and
found it much easier, more spontaneous to play - as if
it were a hinderance instead of an option.

i wonder if anyone else has noticed this when playing
an instrument with either less or more than their
accustomed number of courses.

i'm not a numerology nut but 5 has always had
significance for me; lottery numbers, easily
remembered telephone numbers ... helpings of pie for
dessert, etc..

- bill

=====
"and thus i made...a small vihuela from the shell of a creepy crawly..." - Don Gonzalo
de Guerrero (1512), "Historias de la Conquista del Mayab" by Fra Joseph of San
Buenaventura