From: sterling price [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 October 2004 05:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Vihuela vs guitar

I think a big factor in the 18th century decline of
the lute is its -implied- difficulty. Admit it-lute
players like to promote the idea that the lute is
difficult and only playable by the elite. This
attitude is still strong today especially with the
baroque lute. The fact is it is no more difficult than
any other instrument. Having 13 courses of strings
does not make it difficult-if that were true the
piano, harp, organ and many other instruments would be
humanly impossible to play(how many strings does a
piano have?) I tend to agree with EG Baron's statement
that the lute in the 1720s had reached a high state of
refinement and that a child could play it well. I
cringe when I hear people today talk about the
impossibility of playing the baroque lute because it
has 24 strings. I say it is a logical result of
centuries of refinement. If the baroque lute is ever
to prosper and shed its image of rediculous
impossibility people have got to stop thinking in that
way. Now, I have a certain profficiency on the baroque
lute and find the music flowing easily from me at
times, but I have trouble playing the earlier 6-7
course music which never seems to flow from my
fingers. I think of it like carrying a heavy load:
with a baroque lute I have a wheel barrow, with the
ren lute I am carrying the load on my shoulders.
Sterling Price