Dear David,

>    Given the preceding nearly identical passage:
> _a________________________a____________
> ____________|_d_______b_|_a_ _____|____
> ____a__b____|_a__b__d___|______c__|_d__
> __________c_|_a_________|_c_______|____
> ____________|___________|_________|_a__
> ____________|___________|_________|____
>
>    I have been interpreting the "d" in the second
> measure of both passages as
>    the beginning of a suspension.

In my view, the "d"2 in the second measure is part of
the melody which comes from the first course "a" in
the preceding bar, thus:

 _a_____________________________________
 ____________|_d_______b_|_a_ _____|____
 ____________|___________|_________|_d__
 ____________|___________|_________|____
 ____________|___________|_________|____
 ____________|___________|_________|____

playing in counterpoint to:

 _______________________________________
 ____________|___________|___ _____|____
 ____a__b____|_a__b__d___|(d)___c__|_d__
 __________c_|___________|_________|____
 ____________|___________|_________|____
 ____________|___________|_________|____

where the d3 (I suppose this is the one you meant)is
indeed the biginning of a suspension. The "a"4 in the
second bar would be an isolated bass, while the "a"1
in the third would be a fill-in note, as you righly
point out.

The second case is even more interesting:

> _________________________a____________
> _b__a_______|_d________|_a_ _____|____
> _______d__b_|_a__b__d__|______c__|_d__
> _c__________|_a________|_c_______|____
> _a__________|__________|_________|_a__
> ____________|__________|_________|____

Here, in my opinion, you have only two voices:

 ______________________________________
 _b__a_______|__________|_a_ _____|____
 _______d__b_|_a__b__d__|______c__|_d__
 ____________|_A________|_C_______|____
 _A__________|__________|_________|_A__
 ____________|__________|_________|____

The remaining notes would be fill-ins. Even though it
is quite tempting to think of the "d"3 as the
beginning of a suspension, as in the previous case, I
tend to prefer the above interpretation. It could be
feasible, of course, to consider it as similar to the
other one: in this case you would have two filling
notes at the beginning of bar 3. Now, considering the
possibility that my hypothesis about the index upward
stroke could have some substance, this could be a
possible interpretation:

              roll       roll

Best wishes,
Antonio

P.S. I should like to thank Stewart for forwarding my
previous messaage.