Our Rhineland herring box spelk planes produce at least 3-4 inches wide
spelks. Those have got at least three handles to allow for at least two
strong Rhinelandish herring box spelk makers.

I learn from google that super surfacers are a certain variety of
electric planes. Correct? Bet you're right that they didn't have these!
But they have had planes for at least 1500 years. Saws and planes may
seem low tech, but the opposite is the case. A well-tuned plane
produces a surface which no super surfacer would ever dare to dream of.
There is no doubt that "they" were able to keep their planes in good
working order, so this must be what they've used. I believe that the
rib blanks were sawed. Figured wood cannot be split, of course, and I
doubt that splitting is an economic method even for more plain wood.
Any comments from REAL experts?

P.S. Peter W., I have mislaid your email address. Help me out?