Dear Jon,

In a world of different pitch standards, different temperaments,
different nominal pitches, modes, tones, hexachords, and all the
other paraphernalia of early music, the definition of key is likely
to get out of hand. I'll try to keep things simple.

As you know, it was normal procedure in the baroque period to group
pieces according to key, so you'd have a suite consisting of say an
allemande, courante, sarabande, and gigue, all in the same key, with
the same key signature, and every piece ending with the same chord.

When you play your harp in an ensemble, you say you group pieces
according to key, i.e. you'll have three or four pieces in C major,
and then maybe have another group of pieces in another key. That's
all we mean by grouping pieces according to key. I guess you group
pieces like that for two reasons:

1) Purely practical - you don't want to have to keep stopping
between pieces to re-tune your strings;

2) Euphony - it's more satisfying on the ear, if you stay in the
same tonality, at least for a while. If you keep jumping from one
key to another, it can be unsettling, especially if the keys are
totally unrelated.

In 16th-century sources there are lots of examples of pieces grouped
according to key. I mentioned Galilei's manuscript, but that is a
bit exceptional. I suppose the commonest thing was to have a pavan
and galliard both in the same key, often with both pieces sharing
similar melodic material. You may find a suite of branles all more
or less in the same key, so they could be played one after the
other.

The trouble with tablature is that it doesn't specify an exact
pitch. We need to be able to talk about notes, chords, and keys, so
we have to find a way of identifying them. There will always be
exceptions, but it is usually assumed that renaissance lute music is
for a lute in g', i.e. a lute with the first string tuned to g'.
This means that a G major chord will look like this:

_a_
_a_
_c_
_c_
_c_
_a_

Everything else is calculated from that g' first string, so the note
f'# will be
___
_e_
___
___
___
___

i.e. one semitone down from g'.

Rainer aus dem Spring has pointed out that Elias Mertel grouped
pieces according to key in his _Hortus Musicalis Novus_ (Strasbourg,
1615). Pieces in G major are grouped together, so Prelude No. 162
begins

 |\           |\
 |\           |\
 |\           |
_a____________a___
___a__________a_|_
_____c________c_|_
_______c______c_|_
_________c____c_|_
___________e__a_|_

No. 163 begins

 |   |\ |\  |\
 |   |\ |\  |\
 |   |  |\  |
_a___a_________c___
_a_|_a_________c_|_
_c_|_c_________d_|_
_c_|_c__a________|_
_c_|______e_c__a_|_
_a_|______.______|__

No. 164 begins

 |   |\
 |   |\
 |   |\
_a___a_________e_h_e___
_a_|_a_____a_f_.___._|_
_c_|_c___c_._________|_
_c_|___c_____________|_
_c_|_________________|_
_a_|_________________|_

The next seven preludes are likewise in G major.

One interesting thing I did notice with Mertel's collection is that
his idea of what constitutes a key must have been slightly different
from ours. Pieces in a minor key usually end with a major chord
(tierce de picardie), so there is an interplay between major and
minor there. However, there is more to it than that. The first 31
preludes are all in the key of C, but the C major pieces are all
mixed up with the C minor ones. Nos 1, 11, 16, 18, 20, 30, and 31
are in C major, while all the other 24 are in C minor. I don't know
why.

Best wishes,

Stewart.