Peter,

I used to think I used peripheral vision a lot for years and I always put
myself on my singers' right so I could see them and my left hand in the
same glance. Recently, however, a singer said she heard me better on my
right so I'm looking at my left hand much less. It feels different but I
find that I can use different cues for understanding where my left hand is.
I'm finding that if I give my mind a mental image of bridge-nut-5th fret, I
can generally "see" in my mind where the 7th fret is. (the 7th fret is
exactly 1/3 the distance nut to bridge; the 5th fret exactly one fourth)
Naturally, the 9th fret is a little hairier! I have a few different length
lutes but once I do a mental/visual check of bridge-nut-5th fret for a few
seconds it starts to fall back into place. What I find harder is playing
7th, 8th or beyond courses on a non-6c lute.

I suspect there are different patterns we teach ourselves to use in higher
positions or difficult fingerings. Maybe it's like parallel parking. Some
of us use methods of splitting the view in the rear-view mirror into thirds
and turning the wheel at such-and-such time --as my driving instructor did
many years ago. Others see a moving picture from above. So in
lefthand-neckwork we take in visual clues as well as tactile or motional.

Or so I'm tempted to imagine.
Sean