From: Howard Posner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 15 November 2004 16:24
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lute playing in 2004.

Herbert Ward wrote:

> I've read that the suicide rate has quadrupled in the past 60 years for
> young adult males, (and doubled for females).

> From this, it is reasonable to assume that modern lutenists operate in a
> profound general society-wide emotional deficit, compared to the period of
> their literature's production.

I think the only assumptions, reasonable or otherwise, that stem from the
numbers is that more young Americans commit suicide now than half a century
ago.  We don't know what the suicide rate in Europe in 1600 was.

Nor do I think you can conclude that there is a "profound general
society-wide emotional deficit" simply because 99.99% of Americans in the
higher-risk categories do not commit suicide now, as opposed to 99.995%
sixty years ago.

HP