Dear Lex,

My guess, from a cursory Google glance, would be that there are many
pictures gracing the pages of various books, showing Arion playing a
stringed instrument. The question really is whether there is any
connection between Mouton and Narvaez.

It is certainly true that the posture of the two players is similar,
but that is somewhat inevitable, because they are both plucking a
stringed instrument. Significant differences include:

1) Narvaez's Arion is more modest than Mouton's, since he appears to
have clothes on the upper part of his body. Mouton's has a nipple
peeping over his lute.

2) The dolphins are facing opposite directions.

3) The tail ends are different: Narvaez's is whale-like; Mouton's
has a frilly edge.

4) The curve of the tail is different: Narvaez's goes up-down-up,
whereas Mouton's goes down-up. (Having a long tail though, as you
point out, could be seen as a similarity.)

5) Mouton's dolphin has a mouth like a platypus'; Narvaez's is more
snub-nosed.

6) Mouton has a couple of cherubs flying around with a banner;
Narvaez doesn't.

I think the few similarities are not enough to link the two
pictures.

Nowadays we take exotic animals for granted. We have photographs. We
can even travel easily by plane to distant lands. In earlier times
there was a fascination with unfamiliar animals, and they turn up,
often strangely depicted, for example in Durer's woodcuts. Their
presence in the Capirola Lute Book was part of the plan to preserve
the music. I think it is possible, especially in cases where the
animals are not well drawn, that the illustrator hasn't actually
seen the animals first hand. It is likely that he has had to rely on
other people's drawings, and the creatures become distorted, just as
messages can get distorted with Chinese whispers.

Mouton's engraver was Etienne Baudet (c. 1636-1711). Had he seen a
real live dolphin, before engraving a picture of one? If not, he
would have had to have copied someone else's picture, to know what
they looked like. Even if he had seen a real one, he may still have
found it convenient to copy someone else's drawing, rather than rely
on his memory. The rarer the animal, the more likely it is for an
illustrator to copy someone else's work. My guess is that there
could be a great chain of dolphins, one copied from the other. If
you assembled all the dolphins ever drawn in 16th- and 17th-century
books, you might be able to show how one developed from another, and
that chain may include Mouton's and Narvaez's dolphins. However,
with the information we have, I am not convinced that Baudet sought
inspiration directly from Narvaez's book.

Best wishes,

Stewart.