Stephan,

I have over fifty years of playing guitar badly (never took up classical).
But I'm pretty good as a traditional folk guitarist - a finger picker, not a
strummer. Close to the bridge tightens the sound, makes it a bit brighter,
as long as the tension is adequate. But it will do little with a soft
tension. The effect comes from the initial pluck setting the overtone
vibrations first, then the string takes over. Ideally one would get the
mellowest tone by plucking the middle of the string (as is normal on the
harp). Impractical though on guitar and lute. But without having read
Segerman's article I'll not comment further (it is printing now for perusal
in the morning, all 14 pages).

Best, Jon