Dear Francesco (and all),

just a few further thoughts, sorry for answering lately.
Francesco wrote:

> Perhaps they decided to change to thumb out for other technical
> reasons. I guess it's simpler to play thumb out with many courses, due
> to the much wider distance the thumb must reach, and also because in
> the music for these larger instruments the thumb must use the lower
> strings a lot more than for Renaissance repertoire.

At least with my hands it's in no way easier to play thumb-out
on low bass courses. If I want to keep the little finger on
the soundboard and away from the first course, the thumb
virtually is _in_ when lying on e.g. the 11th course.
Interestingly it only seems to work when the little finger
rests on/under the bridge or behind it, so that you have a
little space for upward movement without touching the strings.

> As you pointed out
> the thumb out move the point where it plucks the string a lot forward
> and this can make the sound sloppy on the thick gut basses. The answer
> might have been to move the hand towards the bridge in order to regain
> a clear and full sound on the basses.

And a harsh sounding upper register at the same time.
I noticed that strings have several "sweet spots" of different
colour which are related to the points where you get the
harmonics. Usually we try to play at those very points,
consciously or not. Just like the harmonics over the
fingerboard towards the saddle those spots are ever closer
together when moving the hand to the bridge and the colour
changes rapidly (as the feel of stiffness under the finger).
When playing in the extreme thumb-out position very close to
the bridge we see on so many paintings with musicians in a
playing posture (and I think one can judge them from mere
posing), the middle and especially the ring finger _will_
sound much different than the index. There is no way of having
a much lower tension on the first course or courses than on
the following to compensate this if we want an "even
stiffness" that is not just felt. So either our concept of
baroque stringing is wrong and the tension increased towards
the basses, or our concept of a pleasant and well-balanced
sound through all registers does not match baroque aesthetics.
Please correct me if I'm wrong...
BTW, I seem to remember that Besard wrote constantly moving
the arm would be unmanly and therefore thumb-out would be the
superior technique. One point to the posing theorists :-)

Regards,

Stephan