I know Neil Gladd <http://www.neilgladd.com/> is preparing a couple such
projects from early mandolin recordings (i.e., not recordings of early
mandolin) for Belmando Records <http://www.belmando.com/>.  He's done such
stuff before and shared images of the work in progress.  I can't recall if
he'd posted the images at his site somewhere or sent them by e-mail.  In
any event, Yes, transfer from wax is done on occasion.

Best,
Eugene