Dear Lute Listers

I should like to thank everyone who has so kindly offered suggestions about
my broken string. I have a lot to think about now, and various strategies
to try. For those who might be interested, the lute is a new, 8 course
Renaissance lute, and was made by the Early Music Shop in the UK. I ordered
it in June and it was finally arrived in early November, but was held up in
Customs for a further week whilst I sorted out endless paperwork and a bill
for GST. As far as lutes go, it was relatively cheap. For me, it was
sensible not to spend a huge sum partly because I didn't have it and partly
because I wanted to determine whether or not I would take to lute playing.
I am personally very pleased with it, though of course it is not as fancy
as many of the instruments one can see on the world wide web which also
come with hefty price tags. The lute came strung with "Pyramid" strings and
the lower courses are tuned in octaves, although I have read that many
prefer a unison tuning. At this stage, that is the least of my worries.
Fortunately, I ordered spare strings, so was able to replace the broken one
straight away.

Today has been quite hot, 38 degrees here in Brisbane, and humid - so I
won't be attempting to play the lute until later this evening. I think,
under these weather conditions, that perspiration might be a problem if one
were to play unclothed. The lute would probably slip around more than
usual, so I shall keep my clothes on! Also, I realise that I must keep
trying to play as I don't want my nose to fall off - no nose, no clothes
... the mind boggles.

My mother offered me a stand for the lute as my Christmas present, however,
she has since retracted the offer and is now insisting that I need a new
pair of shoes.

Best wishes, and thanks again.

Kind regards

Caroline
Caroline Chamberlain BSc (Hons)
Scientific Officer
School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences
University of Queensland
Brisbane  QLD 4072

Tel:  + 61 7 3365 4606
Fax: + 61 7 3365 4699