I thought it might be a spoof, but a visit to the home page, "dedicated to
the dancers of 'West Coast Swing' and its variants" indicates that the
writers are just out of their element.

Caroline Usher wrote:

> At 09:21 AM 12/10/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>> Some interesting stuff regarding the origin of Chaconne and Passacaglia
>> and the new world.
>>
>> http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3chacna.htm
>
> From this website:  "The Chacona (a.k.a. Passacaglia), is considered a Spanish
> Folk dance but originally came from Italy, created by F. Alfonso Ciacone
> (1540-1599), a blind Italian composer from about 1560."

The next couple of sentences are even better:

"From there it went on to Guatemala, Mexico via Simon Agudo? which was then
introduced to the public in Tampico, Mexico in 1599 at the wedding for the
King of Spain Phillip III (1578-1621). A few years later it became very
popular in Barcelona, Spain and by 1618 it arrived by mail from the West
Indies to Seville."

"Arrived by mail."  I wish I'd written that.

HP