Dear Jon,

I am amazed that you "wonder whether the actual text is that
important." The text is essential. Without it, you have nothing. We
know a lot about lute music, because so much was carefully written
down, often with detailed instructions on how to play it. It is
quite wrong to suggest that "the various notations are reasonably
recent, when compared with the age of music." We learn the same
notation people used in the past, and their books of music survive
for us to study. It is also pie in the sky to imagine that we can
"know the feel of the music of the age", by ignoring the very
sources which provide us with that knowledge.

I think it is important to know what your aims are. You may want to
look at music from a historical perspective, in which case you will
want to learn as much as possible about the music, and to be able to
play it exactly how it is notated in the source. On the other hand,
you may want to adapt the music for your own needs, and historical
accuracy may not be important at all. Both approaches have their
merits.

Yet even if historical accuracy is not important to you, I still
think it is wise to learn as much as you can first, before trying to
do your own thing.

For example, when I tried learning the banjo by listening to
records, I would play the notes g', e', d' like this:

----2----
-------3-
---------
---------
-0-------
 T  M  I

Fortunately a friend noticed me struggling to play the notes with a
reverse roll (T M I), and advised playing the same three notes like
this instead:

-------0-
----5----
---------
---------
-0-------
 T  I  M

I would never have thought of playing them that way, but using a
forward roll (T I M) was so much easier.

In other words, relying on what I could pick up on my own by
listening to a record, would have caused me no end of problems. I
was turning a simple piece of music into a difficult one.

After studying the instrument for some time, I was eventually able
to improvise, to do my own thing, to choose how to play notes in a
way which suited me best, but all that had to come later on.

It doesn't matter if the music you want to play is by John Dowland
or Earl Scruggs. You first need to learn what the experts did,
before you try doing it yourself. Much may be learned, of course, by
listening to recordings, but if music is readily available in
written form, it would be foolhardy to ignore it.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.