Dear David,

it all depends on the instrument you are playing. First of all playing
without nails requires strings of less tension - it's a matter of taste
which kind of string you want to use - nylgut or gut feels best imho.
If this doesn't lead to any success it's possible to file your nails
unequal: as James already pointed out you are playing the lute rather with
the right side of your fingers while the guitar is played with the left
side. If you file your nails in a way that the left side remains but is
short on the right side you could archieve a good nailtone on guitar and a
"fleshy" thumb-under on the lute.

I personally decided first not to play guitar anymore and now am starting
on a early romantic guitar which works perfectly without nails.

best wishes
Thomas

"David Cassetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> am 15.12.2004 14:35:35