From: Ben Cohen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 8:53 AM
To: 'Jon Murphy'; Lute List
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Strings Redux, progress report

Howdy Jon -

I recall a short but very useful article on the physics of vibrating strings
in Experimental Musical Instruments magazine in the late 1980s.  The author
(a physicist) not only gave complete formulae for the pitch of a stretched
strings as a function of length, density, gravity, etc., but also gave some
practical information on tensile strength.

I think he noted that most string materials sound best when tensioned to at
least 80% of their breaking strength.  The author listed the breaking
strengths for some popular string materials (which I think were a function
of thickness).

I used the information as a high school physics teacher to develop a lab on
stretched strings.  I had my students build Pythagorean monochords and
calculate the pitch of various strings as a function of length, tension and
material.  Thay matched pitch against my electronic piano.

Experimental Musical Instruments magazine is no longer in print, but has a
fine web presence at www.windwolrd.com.

Give me your contact info and I'll try to mail you the article.

Ben Cohen
Denver, Colorado