Jim, also a good description of a harp stroke. But to another's point as to
the zen of making the sound, the conscious and the unconscious. Years ago I
was a rather competant skier - actually an instructor and a rescue
patrolman. Some years after I quit I went on a day excursion to help a
friend on an outing with beginners. I was on rented skiis (but still had my
own boots). At a point in the day he and I went up on an expert trail (he
was a new "expert") and I got in trouble banging a mogul field. When I
skiied up to him he said "how did you do that', my reaction was what did I
do? (Reconstruction said that I'd caught the off side of a mogul and been
bounced, then made a mid-air turn to set up the landing and the rest of the
run - but I didn't know that).

In the same light, I work at the lute - but I pick up the guitar and don't
even know what string I'm playing, as the chess master Sammy Reshevsky said
when asked how many moves ahead he planned, "one, but it is always the right
one".

OK, what is the point? Or am I just boasting of other achievements in other
areas. If you are young and have the "chops" you don't have to seek the zen,
if you are a bit older and the muscle memory is developing Alzheimer's then
you will have to give a bit more thought to gaining the skills - they will
leave you in very short time. But it isn't philosophical, it is music. If
you can "hear" it then you can play it (but not as fast as those young
bucks). But there is nothing wrong with a slow pace, as long as it is played
with the feeling of the song. Don't fall into the trap of paralysis by
analysis.

Best, Jon